Friday, April 16, 2010

Soldier X Free Write


I am reading a book called Soldier X. It is about World War Two from a German soldier’s point of view. To me, World War Two is probably the most interesting war that has happened. That most likely because it’s the one I know the most about. The book is interesting to read because I can already see the difference between the way a German man saw the war and the way American men saw it. They had different points of view on it because they were treated extremely different.
Obviously I am glad that America’s side won, but reading Soldier X makes me think that although they were very much so in the wrong with their actions, German soldiers had it very bad. They were very mistreated and had an extremely hard time. Reading this book helped me see the difference between the way soldiers from different countries are treated and what their opinions are on war. Reading this book has also shown me a lot of facts about the war and it would actually be a pretty good source of events in World War Two. I have been shown a different point of view of the war that was extremely different from what Americans usually hear about World War Two. We usually hear about what happened to our soldiers and our troops, our countries and our down falls. It’s not every day that we learn about how the Nazis felt and what they were going through.
Soldier X is a good book to read if you want to learn a lot about World War Two, Eurasia, and opposing opinions. This book is really informational but it is also extremely interesting. It tells about happy times, about sad times, it talks about battles and people. It is showing me that not just the United States of America suffered during this war. The main character is named Erik and he was a teacher in America after he was a Nazi soldier. He tells his students that he was in World War Two but he doesn’t tell them which side he was on. I find this character interesting because I wonder how he is able to keep this from his students. Even as a young boy he is interesting because he stands up for his fellow students and shows me that no matter what country you're from, a soldier is a brave, courageous man who has risked everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment